The 47th annual SCORE Baja 500 took place in Ensenada on Saturday June 6th, 2015. The weather was picturesque at the start in downtown Ensenada with temperatures reaching 75 degrees. Qualifying took place on Thursday before the race outside of Ensenada.
The course was a short 5-mile track that contained multiple types of terrain to keep the best off road drivers on their toes. Upon finishing his qualifying lap, Menzies found himself in third. After the remaining drivers took to the course Bryce dropped a few spots to start the five hundred mile course in sixth position.
Menzies took off from the start line at 10:06am on Saturday and quickly passed 3 trucks to get himself into third place physically. On corrected time, Bryce was right there for the lead. Menzies charged through the pine forest which is mostly single track, sitting just outside the dust of Luke McMillin.
Menzies continued to stay in contention for the lead until they began to lose water to the motor. They added water at a remote pit but this did not fix the issue, just put a band-aid on it. At race mile 340, Menzies jumped on the radio to relay to the team that the motor had quit running.
The battle between KTM teammates Roczen and Ryan Dungey came down to the final round. Dungey held the red plate after the opening round at Glen Helen. Roczen took the plate from him at the second round of the series and held on to it through the final round where he was crowned champion in front of a very excited motocross crowd.
The 46th annual Tecate SCORE Baja 500 desert race feature a course of approximately 500 miles.
- 1. 77 Robby Gordon, Charlotte, N.C., Chevy CK1500, 5 minutes, 8.74 seconds (50.14mph)
- 2. 70 Bryce Menzies, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 5:13.42 (49.39mph)
- 3. 35 Jason Voss/Rich Voss, Cupertino, Calif., Ford F-150, 5:17.11 (48.82mph)
- 4. 11 Rob MacCachren, Las Vegas, Ford F-150, 5:21.74 (48.11mph)
- 5. 5 Clyde Stacy, Bristol, Va./Carlos Lopez, Tecate, Mexico, Chevy Rally Truck, 5:22.56 (47.99mph)
- 6. 83 Luke McMillin, El Cajon, Calif./Chuck Hovey, Escondido, Calif., Ford F-150, 5:23.06 (47.92mph)
- 7. 1 B.J. Baldwin, Las Vegas, Chevy Silverado, 5:23.29 (47.88mph)
- 8. 16 Cameron Steele, San Clemente, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 5:25.43 (47.57mph)
- 9. 7 Steven Eugenio, Carlsbad, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 5:26.58 (47.40mph)
- 10. 15 Armin Schwarz, Austria (Germany)/Martin Christensen, Escondido, Calif. (Denmark), BMW XJ-6, 5:28.34 (47.15mph)
- 11. 44 Kyle Jorgensen/Todd Jergensen, Oak Hills, Calif., Chevy Silverado, 5:29.73 (46.95mph)
- 12. 21 Gus Vildosola Jr/Gus Vildosola, Mexicali, Mexico, Ford Raptor, 5:29.75 (46.94mph)
- 13. 18 Juan C. Lopez, Tecate, Mexico, Ford Raptor, 5:30.32 (46.86mph)
- 14. 85 Justin Davis, Chino Hills, Calif., Ford F-150, 5:32.49 (46.55mph)
- 15. 72 Robert Acer/Andrew Becerra, Wilmington, Del., Chevy Silverado, 5:34.68 (46.25mph)
- 16. 76 Jesse Jones, Phoenix, Ford F-150, 5:37.12 (45.92mph)
- 17. 23 Dan McMillin, La Mesa, Calif./Chuck Hovey, Escondido, Calif., Ford F-150, 5:38.33 (45.75mph)
- 18. 91 Troy Herbst, Las Vegas/Ryan Arciero, Foothill Ranch, Calif., Ford F-150, 5:39.21 (45.64mph)
- 19. 98 Gary Weyhrich, Troutdale, Ore., Ford F-150, 5:41.55 (45.32mph)
- 20. 50 Zak Langley, Santa Monica, Calif./Rick D. Johnson, Barstow, Calif., Ford F-150, 5:42.57 (45.19mph)
Roczen's 1-1 gives him the points lead as the series heads to Lakewood, Colorado, this Saturday.
With a 2-2, Dungey is only five points shy of Ken.